- How to request a PayPal refund: Go to Activity tab, select the payment, and contact the seller for a refund.
- Timelines for PayPal refunds: Request within 180 days, seller can approve or decline the refund.
- Where does a PayPal refund go: Refund goes to original payment mode (bank account, PayPal balance, credit cards, debit cards).
PayPal is great for making online payments, but what happens when the sale goes wrong, and you need to claim a refund?
Here’s what you need to know about PayPal refunds.
How to Request a Refund Using PayPal
You can request a refund for a payment completed using PayPal by following these steps:
- Go to the Activity tab.
- Select the payment in question.
- You can use the seller’s contact information to contact the seller for a refund.
Once requested, you’ll have to wait for the seller to respond.
How Long Does a PayPal Refund Take?
There are some crucial timelines to keep in mind for PayPal refunds. For starters, you can request a refund from a seller within 180 days after the purchase. However, the seller does reserve the right to approve/decline the refund request.
Where Does a PayPal Refund Go?
There are two considerations for where your PayPal refund request will end up, and it all depends on the account you used to make the payment.
1. When a Seller Approves Your Refund Request
PayPal will route the refund to the original payment mode, for which there are several options:
- Bank Accounts: If you paid via your bank account, the refund amount is credited to your bank account within five working days. The only caveat to this method is that it can sometimes take up to 30 days in exceptional cases.
- PayPal Balance: For any payments made using your PayPal Balance, your refund is available the same day, as the funds are added to your balance directly.
- Credit Cards: If you used your credit card, the refund may take one or two billing cycles before the refund amount is available in your account. It’s advisable to check with your card issuer for the exact time frame, plus check that the refund arrives.
- Debit Cards: For debit card payments, you can expect the PayPal refund to be credited within five working days.
- Credit Card and PayPal Balance: The above timelines apply to partial payments, wherein you made payments using your credit card and your PayPal Balance. For example, the amount debited from your PayPal Balance is credited back to your balance the same day, while the remaining credit card balance takes one or two billing cycles.
If you think you’ve been scammed using PayPal, you can request a refund from PayPal directly. Since this is a case-on-case basis, PayPal reserves the final decision and acts accordingly.
2. When a Seller Declines Your Refund Request
In an alternate scenario, there might be cases where the seller either declines your refund request or refuses to acknowledge/honor the request altogether. In such cases, you have a couple of options:
- Dispute: You can raise a dispute with the seller for a refund. You can submit a dispute when the quality of the product/service is not as per the promised standards. You can’t raise a dispute simply because you did not like the product you received. The process takes around 45 days, starting from the product’s delivery date.
- Claim: When the seller fails to acknowledge the dispute or doesn’t respond to your request appropriately, you can file a claim with PayPal. This must be done within 20 days of the seller’s last decision/action. PayPal will act as an intermediary and decide on the outcome, which can tip towards either party.
During the process, ensure you steer clear of PayPal scams that might promise to get a verdict in your favor.
How to Check the Status of a PayPal Refund
To check the status of your PayPal refunds, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Activity tab.
- Within the Filter by section, click on Type.
- Select Refunds from the drop-down menu.
- Ensure you enter the desired date range filter to see the list of transactions.
You can easily tackle PayPal payments and track the status of your refunds from within PayPal’s portal. A PayPal refund can take a few days to process, depending on the payment method, but it won’t take longer than five days in most cases.