SKY satellite TV customers are in for another disappointment as the broadcaster confirms the permanent closure of a fan-favourite channel.
Sky History+1 will shut down for good on Thursday, April 10, marking the latest in a series of channel losses for Sky Q and Sky+ viewers.
2
The closure means viewers will no longer be able to catch missed shows an hour later on Sky History+1, which is currently available on channel 223 (224 in Scotland).
The main Sky History channel will continue as normal.
It follows a string of recent changes as Sky gradually shifts focus from traditional satellite services to its internet-based platforms, Sky Glass and Sky Stream.
Just this week, Sky History 2 HD was removed from satellite, leaving only the standard definition version on air.
HD viewing remains available on Sky Glass and Stream, but not for those sticking with satellite.
Frustrated customers have taken to forums to vent, calling the changes a “backward step,” particularly as many HD channels are being dropped while SD versions stay.
Some believe this signals the slow phase-out of Sky Q, the satellite-based box released back in 2016, which hasn’t seen a major upgrade in years.
Despite reassurances from Sky that the product remains supported, users worry the platform is being quietly sidelined in favour of streaming.
Sky has made several updates this week across its TV guide, including HD closures, channel rebrands, and reshuffles – with more set to come.
Time shift channels have been increasingly less useful in the age of streaming, with most shows available to watch on-demand whenever you want instead of relying on the +1 hour broadcast.
However, Sky History 2 HD may be seen as a far greater loss to viewers.
Sky History 2 will still be available but viewers on Sky Q and Sky+HD will have to settle with watching shows in SD (standard definition) instead.
Both channels exist as part of a partnership between Sky and Hearst Networks UK, the latter of which owns the History Channel brand.
Is this the end for Sky Q?
A TV expert believes it’s “unlikely
Paolo Pescatore, an expert for PP Foresight, told The Sun it is “highly unlikely” Sky will ever release a new satellite box “given the investment and timescales with the TV switch off that’s around the corner”.
Last year, Sky signed a contract extension with satellite operator SES that takes the service up to 2029.
“Ultimately Sky would prefer to migrate all users onto its IP based products which in turn will lead to the end of Sky Q,” Paolo said.
“It is reliable, robust and serves customers needs.
“They do not want to buy another telly with Sky inside for now.”
2